Chicken Pho — Extra Protein Edition!
Once upon a time when I lived in Utah we used to frequent Pho Plus in Orem. Now if you’ve never had pho soup (pronounced like fun without the “n”), you are missing out. This Vietnamese dish blends warm and exotic spices into a clear broth with a healthy serving of rice noodles and meat of choice (vegetarian versions are also delicious!) Top it all off with some bean sprouts, basil, jalapeno, and sriracha and you’re in food heaven! This was my husband’s favorite restaurant so naturally I had to find a recipe to make at home!
I found the perfect version on the Yummies4Dummies youtube channel. I keep pretty close to her original recipe with one big change. I have been switching out the rice noodles for bean noodles! I used to use the Dynasty Maifun Rice noodles but I’ve been trying to lower carbs and up protein. When I saw that my favorite noodle company, Explore Asia, has some adzuki bean noodles it seemed like the perfect fit. These noodles have 46% less carbs than the rice noodles. Not to mention 14g more fiber and a whopping 26g more of protein all for the same amount of calories!
Here is a comparison of nutrition labels (from vitacost.com):
Clearly, we have a winner!
16 cups water
3 inches ginger
1 small peeled onion
2 ½ tablespoons salt
3 tablespoons sugar
3 ½ pounds chicken
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
5 star anise
1 whole cinnamon stick
1/3 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 pkg adzuki bean noodles
- Begin thawing chicken if using frozen.
- Place water in pot and bring to boil. In the meantime microwave your peeled onion and ginger for 3 minutes. Place in hot water.
- Chop your chicken into bite size pieces and add to the boiling water. Lower to the heat and allow to simmer until chicken is cooked.
- While chicken is cooking gather your spices into a small pan and roast over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Place your spices in a tea ball or wrap in cheesecloth and add to the pot, skimming any foam that rises to the top off.
- While the spices are infusing with your broth begin boiling water for your noodles. Once water is boiling add the noodles. They take about 6-8 min to cook. Drain once cooked.
- Chop your toppings.
- Place noodles in bowls, pour soup over it, add bean sprouts, jalepeno, lime juice, basil, sriracha, and hoisin to taste. Enjoy!
Remember to Subscribe to keep in the loop!